Instagram is constantly adding new features to the app in a bid to make it even more appealing to its users. Case in point, the photo-centric app recently introduced the option to collaborate on a post or Reel with a fellow Instagram user. This way the duo can easily share the content with their combined followers without having to individually post the same image or video on their respective accounts. This article shows you how you can use Instagram Collab to easily create a collaborative post or Reel on your mobile device.
What Is Instagram Collab?
Instagram Collab lets you collaborate with another Instagram user on posts and Reels so that both users are credited as authors of the post or Reel. While the feature is mainly aimed at creators and businesses, the app poses no restrictions in this sense, so people with regular accounts can also try the feature if they’d like.
Keep in mind when using this feature that at this point, you can only add a single collaborator to your post. Additionally, the collaboration post option will only show up on public accounts, but you can accept an invite to collaborate even if you have a private account. In addition, creating collaborative posts is only available on mobile and not the desktop app.
How to Create a Collaborative Post on Instagram
Let’s take a look at how to use Instagram Collab.
- Open your Instagram on your mobile device.
- Tap on the “+” button located in the top-right corner.
- Select which type of content you wish to create. Note that you can’t collaborate on a Story or Live, so your options here are only Post and Reel.
- If you’ve selected “Post,” go ahead and choose the picture(s) you want to post, then select the Next arrow.
- Add filters or edit the image(s), then press the Next arrow.
- On the “New Post” page, tap on the “Tag People” option.
- Tap on the “Invite Collaborator” option underneath the image.
- In the bar at the top, search for the person you want to collaborate with.
- Tap on the account name to make them a collaborator for the post.
- A request will be sent to the person you selected. If they accept, the post will be shared to their followers, and they will be shown as an author of the post as well.
- If you selected “Reel,” the process is quite similar. Just shoot your video, add effects and edit, then use the “Tag People” feature to add a collaborator.
How to Accept a Request for Collaboration on Instagram
Once you’ve added someone as a collaborator to your post or Reel, the person in question will receive a request to join your efforts. Follow these instructions to accept an invite with Instagram Collab.
- You should receive a notification from Instagram on your phone once you’ve been “tagged in a post.”
- Tap on the notification to be taken straight to the app.
- If you didn’t get the notification, check your DMs. Open the Instagram app, then tap on the Messages icon in the upper-right corner.
- You should notice a new message from the person who is trying to add you. Tap on it to open it, then on the “View Invitation” button.
- You’ll be taken to the post the other creator shared with you. Tap the “Review” button underneath the image.
- Accept or decline the request.
- If you accept the request, both your usernames will be shown as the authors of the post.
How to Stop Your Collaboration on Instagram
If, for whatever reason, you wish to stop your collaboration, you easily can. All it takes is a few simple steps in Instagram Collab.
- Go to the post in question in the Instagram app.
- Tap on the three-dot menu in the upper-right corner of the display.
- Select “Stop Sharing” from the options.
- Confirm that you want to stop sharing.
- A message saying, “You removed yourself as a collaborator on this post.” should pop up at the bottom of the screen.
Note that any of the two parties can make the choice to stop collaborating at any time.
What’s interesting is that even if you use this option, the other person will still be tagged in the post, but they will no longer be shown as co-author. The content will remain only on the profile of the person who sent out the invite.
To remove the person completely you’ll have to tap on the three dots, as you did above, and select “Tag options” instead, then “Remove me from post.”
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I can’t add certain collaborators; what can I do?
Some accounts may not allow other users to tag them. Before adding your collaborator, you may have to speak to the user in question and convince them to alter their settings in this sense. You need to go to “Settings -> Privacy -> Posts -> Allow Tags From” and select either to allow everyone to tag you or just people you follow.
2. I can’t find the feature. What can I do?
If you can’t see the option, and you’ve already checked to be sure it’s not a private account, the feature is pretty new, so it may not be yet available in your region. Give it some time, and it may show up. You can also try updating your app to see if it becomes available.
3. Can I try something else if Instagram Collab isn’t available in my region?
Sure, you can remix Instagram Reels. This is another way to collaborate with others, as it allows you to upload a clip next to another user’s clip. Learn how you can remix Reels on Instagram by reading our in-depth tutorial, which details all the steps for you.